Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Squirrel

On Monday afternoon when I was driving home from work I saw a dead squirrel in the road (it wasn't smashed into the road, so I'm not sure how it died...perhaps it fell out of the tree that was towering above). It didn't really have much of an impact on me until...

Tuesday morning on my way to work, I saw another squirrel standing beside the dead one...looking over it as if it were grieving. Now, I don't know if squirrels have emotions or what the one squirrel was thinking of the other (perhaps the dead one had a nut nearby and the alive one was simply stopping to pick up on its good fortune), but it did cause me to pause. In fact, I've not really been able to stop thinking about it since.

A few observations:
[1] We never know when our time is going to be up. We should probably live every day as if it were our last.
[2] When we are gone, will there be a fellow squirrel whose life we've impacted? I hope that there is at least one person who will stop in the middle of the road and mourn my passing because of the positive impact I've had on them.
[3] If a squirrel dies and there does happen to be a nut nearby, the squirrel can't take the nut with him...and another squirrel is probably going to end up with it. Why not give the nut away before you die so that you get the enjoyment & pleasure of giving it away?

Maybe I'm nuts for dwelling on the squirrel...

3 comments:

amy said...

that is a lot of thinking about the dead squirrel. i saw it in the road, too. i don't know if this will impact your thinking, but the next time i drove by, the poor little booger had been flattened.

Brenda Rae said...

hummm I can't stop giggling inside, but Jason says that the moral of the story is that you can't take your nuts with you...leave it to him to take it to lightly

Me on the otherhand would stop and mourn over you

Sharon said...

deep deep thinking. I would mourn you too much to think about. Dad said your not getting the money 'till we're gone.(hehe)