Monday, July 23, 2007

Germany Thoughts

Right now I am on a flight back from Germany (once you are able to read this, I will be home) and I wanted to share a couple of thoughts that I picked up in Germany.

I'm proud to be an American. I (smugly) think Americans are the best at most of what we do. However, there are a few things that Germans do better than us IMHO:

(1) Transportation: I'm not a big 'green' guy. I don't mind if people drive SUV's (I have one myself). I don't think that global warming is a big danger to the world (if it even exists at all). I don't even think that the world is in real danger of running out of oil any time soon. However, there are a few things that I think the Germans do well. Their public transportation system is phenomenal (I was in Leipzig - a medium sized city in East Germany...I also visited Berlin - a large city). They have 'trams' and buses that a person can use to get pretty much anywhere in the city easily. Also, they have the city set up for easily riding bikes (bike trails and shortcuts, along with bike trails on the side of the road). Like I said above, I don't have a problem with Americans driving everywhere, but if someone did want to ride a bike, it is so much effort that the negatives outweigh the benefits. I like the idea of riding my bike to places. It gets me exercise and gets me outdoors. Gives me some much needed recreation.

(2) Recreation: Speaking of recreation, there isn't a lot to do in Germany. Yes, there is a nice beach (at a lake) and they do have things like movie theaters and bowling allys, as well as opera houses, concerts, pubs, etc. (OK, I take it back, there is plenty to do in Germany...I just didn't have time to do much of it...stick with me, the point I intend to make is still valid); but what was striking to me is how much the German people were outside. They have lots of parks and lots of people use the parks. As mentioned above, people ride their bikes and are just outside in general. I spend too much time indoors. Granted, it's typically a good bit hotter or colder where I live than the place I visited in Germany, but I digress...

(3) Efficiency: From building buildings that don't have to be heated and cooled as much to driving smaller cars so that they can parallel park instead of standard parking, Germans know a thing or two about efficiency.

(4) Affection: I've never been a huge fan of PDA (that's public displays of affection for those of you who have been living under a rock for the past century). The Germans are the poster-people for PDA. Everywhere you look someone is playing tonsil hockey, giving someone a squeeze on the bottom, etc. All couples hold hands if they are within an arm's reach of their sweetie. Even the way to casually say goodbye to a friend is by giving a hug. At first it was a little disturbing (but not quite as much of a culture-shock as the nude beach that Thomas took me to...that's a whole different post topic). However, the more I thought about it, the more I think us Americans could stand to be a little (LITTLE being the key word here) more snuggly with the ones we love. If you truly love someone, why is it necessary only to show it in private? Now, I'm not advocating that we become as 'open' as the Germans...but I think a little more affection might be a good thing. We'll see what Amy thinks about it. (Side Note: The foreign couple sitting in the seat in front of me just gave each other a pop kiss...what perfect timing).

No comments: