Friday, June 15, 2007

Save Me From That Dog!

We were over at some friends house the other night. They have two little dogs. Quinn loves dogs and was all over these little guys. At one point Quinn started stomping his feet and one of the dogs, thinking he was wanting to play, started barking. The barking freaked Quinn out and he started crying. Trip happened to be standing right there and grabbed Quinn and in an all-in-one motion hugged him and moved in between the dog and Quinn. It was one of those big brother, "I'll protect you" moments. Later, when I asked Trip about why he hugged Quinn when the dog barked he said, "Quinn was scared and I wanted to help him."

The most fascinating thing is that Trip is, in general, a scared-ey cat (no pun intended) and typically gets a little freaked out by dogs. It was a great demonstration of selflessness. I could learn a lesson.

On a similar note, on a different day several months ago, we were at a birthday party. Quinn was playing with a toy and a bigger kid (about Trip's age) came and took the toy away from Quinn. I saw a look come across Trip's face that I've never seen before. It was one of those, "I'm about to take you out" looks. I assured Trip that everything was ok, and Quinn had already moved on to another toy. I think I saved that big bully kid's life. I think Quinn's pretty lucky to have such a good big brother. I think this is the only time in my life that I've ever missed having a sibling of my own. Ok...I'm over it now.

5 comments:

Brenda Rae said...

I think that both need a little sister to protect!!! I wish I saw that in Ally more, but it is usually her being the bully taking the stuff from Drew or trying to get him to stop crying so she won't get in trouble.

Gram said...

I love their relationship. I hope that they will always be good friends. I am sure it will evolve into "I can do whatever to my brother, but you had better not even think about it." I agree with Brenda, I think they would love to have a sister :D

Chuck said...

Amy said I could get a motorcycle if she could have another baby. It's tempting, but doesn't really make a lot of sense. If I died on the motorcycle she'd then be a single mom of three. I think I'll stick with a Saturn and two children - who I love dearly.

amy said...

Uh.... excuse me... a deal is a deal!!! you can' renig on a your deal, babe. i stopped taking my pill 2 nights ago!

i'm just joking, but that would be funny... :0)

amy said...

for the record... i left the 't' of of can't in my above comment.

you can see the apostrophe and clearly know that i was not saying that you 'can' renig!