Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Prodigal Father

I was just listening to Pastor Terry's Message from two weeks ago and he was telling the story of the Prodigal Son. Then he explained how the definition of the word prodigal is "rashly or wastefully extravagant." It is amazing how wasteful the son was with the inheritance that the father had given him. But then Pastor Terry made a very profound point. He pointed out that the story should be titled the Prodigal Father; because it was the father who allowed him back in his house after all the waste. It was the father who welcomed the son back after the son had done the most embarrassing, insulting, and unforgivable acts. It was the father who put the signet ring on the son...basically telling him "you are part of the family, you can do business in my name, you can have the family credit card, you have my seal of approval." He wastefully threw him the most extravagant party to welcome him back.

I'm so glad that the Heavenly Father acts rashly or wastefully extravagantly toward me when it comes to His grace. I've throw away the inheritance a thousand times over, and I've eaten with swine spiritually, but time and time again He puts his signet ring on me. Time and time again He puts his fine robe on my back. The Father doesn't view His children as prodigals...He views them as valuable. He finds it a joy to extravagantly pour out His love and grace. I'm so glad He's the Prodigal Father!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Chuck....I needed that.