Friday, August 03, 2007

Faith To Get Out Of The Car

Tonight I had one of those moments. We'd just returned from our usual Friday night eating out. I was in the car with the boys and Amy drove separately...and she beat us home and was already inside. I got out of the car and promptly got Trip out of his seat. As I closed the door I caught Quinn's eyes...and noticed how he was intently watching me walk around toward the rear of the car. As I moved toward the back of the car, I quickly moved out of his view. Once I got to the other side and came back in to his view, it struck me how calm he was. He had faith in me that I would come around and get him out of the car, even though he couldn't visibly see me all the way there.
But why wouldn't he trust me to come around and get him? I'd done it plenty of times before. I'd given him no reason to doubt my faithfulness. He saw me get his brother out of the car...an example of my faithfulness in those around him. I think he knows deep down, subconsciously that I love him and want the best for him, which obviously means I won't leave him there to be engulfed in the heat.

What's facinating is that I know all of these same things about Father God: He's faithful time and again, He loves me, He shows me examples of his faithfulness all around. Yet, time and again I find myself wondering if He's going to come around to my side and get me out of the car. Oh to have faith like a child. Me of little faith.

No comments: