Sunday, September 30, 2007

Annie Lenox

Amy likes to record CBS Sunday Morning on the DVR and watch it later (since we're at church or getting ready for church when it's on). This morning's episode had Annie Lenox from the Eurythmics. The thing that struck me is as they interviewed her at her house and walked through parts of her house, it was a shrine to herself. She had gold and platinum CD's hanging on the walls and photos of her and her band.

I thought to myself, what a sad existence. You work all your life, have a successful career, and all you have is your house as a shrine to yourself. I thought, there's no way I'd have all that stuff hanging in my house. I wouldn't want to live in a shrine to myself.

But, then, I thought that maybe I do live in a shrine to myself (or, at least I would if I could). Several years ago we remodeled our kitchen because (partly) we were embarrassed about the 1970's motif. We wanted something more modern. I wanted something more "me." If I could, I'd have a plasma TV. Why? Because it would be a representation of something I'd worked hard and earned the right to buy. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.

I don't really have anything profound to say about my realization...except that "sweet dreams are made of these, who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas. Everybody's looking for something."

What is it about that song that makes me want to sing along? Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)

No comments: